Educational Materials for Literacy Through Art, Science, and Social Studies.
This English/Language Arts/ Science thematic unit, May Day Flowers, includes the following educational materials:
- Lesson Plan suggestion
- Student Reader, May Day Celebrations (2 levels--grades 2-3, and 4-5)
- Student Reader Comprehension Game Cards (2 levels--grades 2-3, and 4-5)
- The Maypole of Merry Mount, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, adapted for grades 4-5 read aloud
- Merry Month of May multiuse game board
- Science Research Cards (2 levels--grades 2-3, and 4-5)
- Flower Photo Cards
- Flower Dissection Directions (2 levels--grades 2-3, and 4-5)
- May Flowers and Basket Craft Directions (2 levels--grades 2-3, and 4-5)
- Parts of a Flower Magnetic Board Pieces
- Common Core Alignment
This unit was written as a sample. I hope you'll find it useful, productive, and educational!
May Day Flowers
Integrated Thematic Unit
Students use their language skills to read informational texts, discuss comprehension questions, dissect a flower and record observations, write a skit, illustrate a piece of literature, and make a paper basket and flower as they learn about the origins of May Day and the reproductive parts of a flower.